Friday, February 27, 2009

Wah!! Kya Scene Hai!

It was a lazy Friday morning and I had lots to do at work. My plan was to reach office early and finish up my pending tasks quickly. However, as plans go - this went awry too. Usually, there was no one at home and so I have to lock up. The front door takes forever to lock. Most times, the key is stuck and refuses to turn and so I am invariably standing out side praying tht the key turns completely or kicking at the door - (like thts gonna help - well, I cannot stand there all day - right??) - when both suddenly show some mercy on me. This is my daily routine and I always get irritated when this happens. I also totally forget 'bout it as soon as I reach the basement to get my bike, which is why it has not been repaired, yet.

The moment I get on the bike, the security guard at our apartment decides to become a traffic policemen. He will rush outside and wave at vehicles that are travelling on the road, and let me know when I can pass. From previous experience, I know he will take forever. I intentionally speed up so I can get past him and onto the road. Luckily, for me there were no other vehicles. After a few moments, I realize that I am crinkling my eyes because of the sunlight and the dust and realize that in my hurry-burry I have managed to leave my helmet on the Diwan at home. Too late to think 'bout tht.

I reach our office premises and I am stopped by the Security Guard who checks my bag for bombs. You probably don't know that I lead a double life. I am a amiable, some actually call me sweet, tech writer during the day and a hindu fanatic bomber at nite - well, neither did I!!! There are no scary beeps. I do not intend to bomb our office today.

And then I am asked to open the dikky ( this is the term used to refer to the boot of the car). I stare dumbstruck as I know I am driving a Honda Activa (a 2 wheeler with no gears) as I am sure he can see. I assume he is talking to smne else, when he repeats his request. He points to the seat of my bike - the seat has a small storage compartment where most folks keep their helmet - tht was the boot aka dikky of my bike. Well.. Well.. Well.. It had my documents, a rag used for cleaning the bike, and Eureka NO BOMB!!! I was allowed to enter the premises.

As I navigate the amazing drive to reach the II floor of the parking area, we are stopped yet again by another security guard. I am furious now as I am now pretty late. I notice that two women are the cause for the delay. I notice that one lady is lifting a gas cylinder out of the boot of a car and transferring it to the other car. I am so furious now - I am all set to ram my bike against her car. Not only has she parked her car on the way it will be a while before she moves and so we have a pile-up at the entrance. Thanks to the fact that I ride a two-wheeler, I was able to get going in the limited space available, like all other two-wheelers. The guy sitting in the four-wheeler must be cursing his luck. He had a lloooong wait ahead!

The utter disregard for other ppl shocked me. Tht felt like a "Wah!! Kya Scene Hai!" moment for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha...so get it. This security is simbly too much. In fact, opening and shutting the dicky everyday has resulted in it becoming loose and opening up everytime I go over a speed breaker quickly :(

Casey said...

:D And so I am not the only one who is so blaaah with the amazing Security Personnel - Good to know that!!

Dew Drop said...

True... Wonder why.. but this is what happens in my office premises every day...when u enter the tech park a security stops me to say ID please... agreed.. I carry it along and on the way another security guard stares and u know you have to wear the tag.. then I swipe the card for the block's main door to open, walk into the lift lobby and there this bag check happens, tag check again, then I need to swipe my card twice at two different doors to get in.... and am not driving or riding thankfully..:) drivers and riders have to go through all of these plus the parking lot checks each day!!!!!!!Too much!!!!

Casey said...

I would like to believe tht they are ensuring the security of the premises. However, I doubt that very much. Smtms the bag check is so perfunctory tht you cud actually walk in with the bomb :P