Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hoovaa Beka?

It was pretty late in the evening on Tuesday when the doorbell rang. The three of us stared at each other - it was too late for a family-get-2gether and usually relatives call to let us know that they are coming by. I was closest to the door and so I moved forward to open it.

Two lil scrawny kids (a boy and a gal) are standing outside the door with one of their best smiles and shout out in unison "Hooova Beka, aunty?" meaning "Do you want Flowers, aunty?" - I was not sure which irritated me more: the fact that the kids called me aunty or that the security guard was obviously not at his place. I am tempted to shout "Illa" (NO) and slam the door shut but I don't want to send the kids back empty-handed. I decide to buy sm flowers - the arien walks up and tells the kids to get going. I glare at him and pay the kids 10 bucks for the jasmine garland and walk in amidst their "Thank you, Aunty"(s) feeling like a million bucks :)

As I walk in with the flowers, the arien tells me tht the flowers look like they are at least a day old and I finally notice that they don't look fresh :( I feel like a goof :( MIL tells me "It is ok - you helped the kids na? Lets decorate the swamy almirah while the flowers still look ok." We do that and I am kinda appeased. While I fall asleep, two thoughts are running in my head "Aunty??" and "Goof."

This results in me waking up crabby and when the bell rings and I find another set of scrawny kids and I notice tht their flowers are really bad looking - I slam the door shut after yelling "Illa". Is tht the end of this story? No.

As I return from work on Wednesday, I find that 4 groups of scrawny kids are eagerly awaiting my return... as soon as I reach the building all screaming "Aunty Aunty - Hoovaa Beka?" The sharp shake of the head is wilfully misunderstood as they scream and follow me into the building... I look around for the Security Guard - he is nowhere to be seen. I am totally furious, now. I am hounded by these brats and I am ready to yell. After saying "Illa" a zillion times - I try to make my way to my apartment and I find them blocking my way - the flower sellers have now transformed into beggars - "Namage Yeradu rupai kodi aunty" ("Give me two rupees aunty") "Please Aunty" and while I am trying to get away the Security Guard appears and mock-hits them with his towel - they all run away - I feel relieved and embarrassed.

As I walk up in a gruff mood, I am pretty surprised that these kids actually had a USP: they tried selling their flowers in twos - a boy and a gal, make good use of the time when the Security Guard is away, share their beaming smiles, call you aunty/uncle, and get you to buy flowers. If all that does not work - well, their back-up plan is to ask you for money. They were probably 5-7 years old... they sure had initiative :D Of course, I am still cheesed off 'bout the "Aunty" bit - well, more 'bout tht later :)

No comments: