Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Week That Was

March has been surprisingly hectic - I was expecting it to be a lazy month - I had my birthday (Gifts!! Gifts!!), we had a new maid (finally!), and a friend was coming in frm Singapore and so we were all going to meet up (Yeah!!). I was kinda also expecting the movie mania to carry on.

The movie mania went on - I saw SlumDog Millionaire, A Wednesday, and Fashion. I actually liked Slumdog Millionaire. It was a feel-good bollywood masala movie made by a Hollywood director. I was pretty impressed with Danny Boyle- who having not lived in India was able to showcase what he saw of India to the world. It is lop-sided - but hey who are we kidding - our bollywood movies have been churning out lop-sided stories for ages - so it probably hurts that we did not make it, I guess. Lot of folks have been saying that Danny Boyle has shown India in a bad light (some of whom have not seen the movie, yet) - I don't think so - However, I did not like the dialogue 'bout real Indians vs real Americans. Considering it was not a script that Danny wrote but rather an adaptation of the book, Q&A, written by Vikas Swarup, an Indian - am not too sure why we are making a song and dance 'bout Danny Boyle. Also, there was no such hulaboo when the book was first released two years ago. Regarding the music, it was nowhere near A R Rahman's best - but we got the Oscar - so ur argument ends right there!! Ne nenne ne ne!!

Wednesday was fantastic - Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher were simply too good. The story was simple, did not have silly songs, was edited xtremely well - I really felt proud tht we cud make such a movie - even if it was a borrowed idea - which most folks said it was - honestly to make such a movie which did not rely on the stuff tht most Hindi movies rely on - was incredible.

Fashion was a beeg let down. I really cud not stand to waste my time watching the movie and so I watched it on fast forward mode. Tht helped :)

Found out by pure luck, that an old friend, was working pretty close to my workplace - Caught up with her over Chocolate milkshake at Barista, cribbed, laughed, and enjoyed each other's company after a really loong time n realized tht we hadn't changed at all; attended a close friend's Gruhapravesh - landed up too late for breakfast n too early for lunch and stood out among the crowd of family junta, unsure of what to do, managed to hand over a bouquet of cute flowers n disappeared soon after; Caught up with a bunch of old friends at Nanking - a fun evening of anecdotes, giggles, teasing, exchanging nasty comments, missing the Glamorous friend, teasing our very own sallu miya, feeling nostalgic, etc. And, the icing on the cake was having a lazy weekend! :) Tht was the week tht was!

No comments: