Sunday, February 8, 2009

நான் கடவுள் - Naan Kadavul - अहम् ब्रह्मास्मि

After a really looong time - I saw a Tamizh movie that had me totally and completely glued to my seat. I have not watched any of Bala's earlier films and this being my first -I was well and truly impressed.

The story is a simple one: a father, based on predictions from astrologers, leaves his son in Kasi and returns home. After 14 years, he returns to Kasi to bring his son home. Only his son is now an Aghori. Aghori ascetics are devotees of Lord Shiva, considered non-hindus because of their alcoholic and cannibalistic rituals. The ascetics are usually found near cremation grounds also known as Shamshaan Ghaats for obvious reasons and are clothed in shrouds and ash. On hearing of this information 'bout his son, guilt weighs heavily on the father and he decides to take the son home. What happens when the aghori is taken to his hometown forms the rest of the story.

If you have seen Traffic Signal and appreciated Madhur Bandarkar - let me say that Madhur barely skimmed the surface while Bala jumped right in.

Wah Wah: At no point does the director shy away from reality. Arya is simply superb as the aghori ascetic. Pooja looks and plays the part of a blind beggar prety well. The song Om Shivoham is one of the best songs in the movie.

Blah: Frankly, I felt there was no blah point in the movie. However, it is not a movie meant for everyone.

Warning: Its not a movie for the faint-hearted. If you want a light-hearted comedy - a movie to watch with friends on a treat - or a break frm reality - don't catch this movie. If you have watched movies like Sethu, Nanda, Pithamagan, and liked it - go ahead and watch the movie and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review...doesn't sound like my kind of movie, though. I saw Nanda and was put off motherhood for a looong time :)

Casey said...

Oh man!
I guess I must be thankful tht the censor board removed some of the scary scenes :D
I am sure it will not be a commercial success but may walk away with sm National awards.

Dew Drop said...

I dont think its my kind of movie too.. but then too many people are talking about it.. On a day when I feel really strong to watch it, I plan to.. but never will on a big screen :) Couldnt take Sethu, Nanda and Pithamagan, though I agree they were well made :)