Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Veg Zinger

For the folks who are blinking at the name -- Zinger burger is the name of the crunchy chicken burger that most non-vegetarians love to eat at the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) outlets. I know because the Arien is total Fida over a Zinger burger. Whenever we visit KFC, I usually have the veggie burger to give the Arien company.

Yesterday, we went to the KFC outlet on Commercial Street and the new veg option was the Veg Zinger. When I stated that I did not want a zinger and I would prefer the veggie burger, I was told that the other option was a veg snacker. Now, a veg snacker is a teeny, tiny, burger that def cannot be my lunch. I decided to try the Veg Zinger. The picture on the right is for representation purpose only. After I finished it, with great difficulty, I had the following questions for the folks at KFC:
  • Why would anyone create a Veg Zinger at KFC?? (Considering that KFC caters primarily to the non-vegetarians.)
  • Was it maybe a marketing strategy gone wrong? (Lets fight competition (read McD) with the all-new Veg Zinger.)
  • A survey whose results could not be verified? (Vegetarians want to have this crunchy taste and look for their burgers as well)

I was totally uncomfortable with the Veg Zinger. I want the veggie burger back which looked and tasted the way I wanted it to. Has anyone tried the veg zinger? How do you like it? How does it compare to McVeggie? Share your views as comments.

3 comments:

Girish said...

Too bad on the bad experience at the single screen theatre for Inception..!

I'm still a student & can't afford to eat out at KFC & the likes, which are mostly overpriced!! The regular hang out for me & my non-veg eating friends is Al-Bek, which is affordable, clean and quite good..! And yes, my veg eating friends want to taste non-veg, but won't because of their religion!!

Maybe they would like the Veg Zinger!! :D

Casey said...

@Girish: I agree. KFC is def. overpriced. And for all tht money -you get a Veg zinger. Grrr.. Yupp..I think ur frends who want to taste non-veg must def try the Veg Zinger.

Anonymous said...

I have never eaten at KFC. Generally, K packs and brings home the burger and eats it himself...the non-beg zinger is pretty good, I hear :)

I gen feel uncomfortable eating at a traditionally non-veg place so I generally pass. I end up picking something from the Adyar Anand Bhavan :D