Thursday, April 30, 2009

What do I have against Borrowing??

  1. When someone borrows something beeg - they never ever return it to you in the same state. For instance, the Arien is forever borrowing the bike from me. When he takes the bike, it is overflowing with petrol. When I get it back, I spend the time driving to the nearest petrol bunk praying that the petrol lasts untill I reach the bunk.
  2. When someone borrows a popular/favorite item - you may never ever see it again. For instance, when you lend your new book to ur cousin who is visiting - the cousin lowes the book as much as you do - you hold late-nite sessions to discuss the twists, the cousin is unable to finish the book within the visit - you are coaxed into lending the book- the cousin leaves and you will never see your book again.
  3. When someone borrows a trinket - you automatically move it to ur museum of small things. For instance, when you lend your fav pair of ear-rings, the chunky bracelet, or other small cute accessories that you own, you will find them returned sans sm chuntu part. The ear-ring will come back without the snap-on, the bracelet will miss the lil stones, 2 of the 12 bangles will be broken.
  4. When someone borrows a common place item - you will always be running short of it. For instance, when the person standing next to you in the queue borrows a pen from you - you are forever walking arnd without a pen. When the colleague frm the nxt cube borrows your Post-IT, you will never have them when you need them.

So how do we deal with this issue? Do we behave like kids and state bluntly "I won't share"? Tht seems childish. Do we tell ppl tht the item means a lot to us? Well, try explaining why the Reynolds pen given by your company (Rs. 5/-) means a lot to you. You will be considered weird by one and all. Do we jes accept what happens to all our cute and not-so-cute stuff? I hope not. What do you do??

3 comments:

gugiinsingapore said...

don't keep anything precious in sight. if u have only one pen, pls ask for it back instantly. if its a book, feel free to say, its my policy - i-do-not-lend-books, you want this coconut from the kitchen? pls take, my book, sorry no. hide ALLLL trinkets u want, and display EVERYHTING you want to get rid of :) works well for me :D

Casey said...

Hahahahahaha :D I know another Taurean who has exactly the same policy - my bro. He tells me I can read the book at his place but no walking out of his house with his book!! Talk of like-minded behavior - U ppl take the cake :D

Anonymous said...

I don't really bother too much about it...you want a pen, book, junk jewellery whatever...np. Things happen, nobody means to lose /break things.

I do reconsider if someone does it all the time though and doesn't bother to apologize or make up for it!

Also, I have been on the other end of the spectrum a couple of times and it's not pretty. I once borrowed a new bottle of "foreign" perfume from a friend, and whilst spritzing dropped and broke it. That brand wasn't available in India and so I replaced it with something else...but she was so damn sweet about it (almost saintly). The sweetheart still lends me lot of stuff. But, I borrow only non-breakable items from her now :D