Sunday, August 15, 2010

Counterfiet Notes - How to identify

I had been delaying the writing of my 100th post for some time. I wanted to write something that was useful to my readers for the 100th post but I had no new ideas. It was the Arien who gave me the opportunity to write something useful but b'cos of the surprise result of the "I write like.." quiz - this has now became my 101th post.

The Arien wanted to deposit Rs. 10, 000 in his account in the branch near our home. Because the bank employee was taking forever to individually validate each note, he was slightly irritated until he was told that one note was a counterfiet. Naturally, being a very curious person (in a good way) the Arien wanted to know how to identify a counterfiet note. The banker showed him two easy ways to identify a counterfiet note.

First, all notes now have this really funny cloud like design which seems to have a lot of commas on the left side on the vertical band. When you turn the cloud design towards the light - you will notice that the commas actually denote the denomination.

Second, there is a specific geometric shape associated with each denomination, triangle for a 100 rupee note, a circle for a 500 rupee note, and a diamond for a 1000 rupee note. There are actually 12 ways of identifying if the note that you have in your hand is a counterfiet or not.

One of the easiest ways to identify a fake note, one that I use is the missing year of printing. A note that does not have the Year of Printing is clearly a fake. When I find that missing, I check for the first two options. I noticed that there are a lot of fake notes in circulation. In fact, more than twice, I have received a fake note from an ATM. I have never really paid attention to the Notes that I receive from shops, ATMs, ppl but the teller refusing to accept that note had me shocked too.

After googling for additional information, I found that this year, Bangalore was in the news for the counterfieting racket and the police have nabbed a gang that circulated them. Scary eh?? Well, anyway, I also found this useful web-page:
http://jaanlo.com/howto/how-to-identify-counterfeit-currency-notes

Share this with everyone you know so we are all more aware of this menace. Take a printout of the images for the higher denomination notes - and share it with ur ofc junta. You must consciously check if the note in your hand is genuine or counterfiet - after all - it is our money.

2 comments:

Girish said...

Thank you for the info.
From now on, I will pay attention.
Never paid much attention till now.

Casey said...

@Girish -- Thank you for your comment. It was a shocker for us. Better safe than sorry -- Happy identifying :)