Saturday, April 11, 2009

The White Tiger

At long last, I can now say that I finished reading "The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga". The first time I saw the title, I mis-read it as " The White Aravind Adiga Tiger":P I thought tht the Author had named a white tiger, Aravind and included a surname after a particular sect, Adiga, to create a bond with the reader. Anyway, I came to realize that the book is not meant for children and ob. the tiger is not called Aravind Adiga. Have you finished laughing?? ...Thank you.

I have this thing for the authors from India who are award winners at an International level. The last book I purchased was "The God of Small Things" by Arundati Roy. I was initially a lil apprehensive 'bout buying this book. However, I went ahead and purchased it. After reading it, I can say that I do not regret buying it.

The anti-hero of the story, is Balram Halwai who is sharing the story of his life with Wen Jiabao, the Premier of China in a seven-part letter. His letter is caustic, funny, and scary all at once. It is a story of an India within the India. The Darkness within the Light. It is a story of a young rickshaw puller's son who is born in the Darkness and makes his way into the Light.

You may not feel the triumph when Balram achieves his goal which you felt when the slum dog became a millionaire. This could be because you are in the Light and the methods or means adopted by smne frm the darkness to achieve his goal, may not appeal to your senses.

When you read a book, you usually put yourself in one of the roles and compare actions. For instance, when the white tiger despises his old master and has to wash his legs after a loong journey, you sympathise with him. You like the young master from America, who treats the white tiger with some respect and dignity. You actually feel some kinship with the young master who seems good and nice. However, you realize soon enough that the young master is far too weak and Balram aka the white tiger swallows him in no time.

After reading the book, I kept wondering if I was one of those weak masters and if the helpers I am used to having around my house, white tigers. Brilliantly written!

No comments: