Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bangalore Rains

One of the best and worst things 'bout Bangalore rains is that they are absolutely unpredictable. I still remember when we used to visit B'lore for holidays: we wud set out for a walk on a sunny evening and come home dripping wet b'cos of the unpredictable showers.

So last week, when all of Bangalore had been dying a slow death b'cos of the scorching summer, I was surprisingly happy when we had some sudden showers. The plus was that all of them happened pretty late in the day and so I did not get drenched even once!! However, on Friday, when I left work, it was raining cats and dogs. I was really glad that I was not going home on my two-wheeler. Considering I spend most of my time on my two-wheeler, I usually hate the rains. You either have to find a nice place to park or you keep driving - either way you end up getting totally drenched and bugged. Driving in the rain is a pain. Folks who drive four-wheelers enjoy the rains b'cos all the two-wheelers are off the road during rains. Considering that I am going to be drenched n bugged anyway, I usually drive home when it rains. I don't like it - but rather than stay in the office, I prefer going home.

In my previous organization, we had a cab service. We would get picked up from our homes and dropped back via company cabs. Ya ya... it was a luxury :D Sitting inside a cab while it was raining outside was gr8 fun - but then its not like a fun ride - its more a lift home and the driver wants to drop you off as soon as poss so he can get back home. Obviously, you spend a lot of time listening to his rants on Bangalore, Traffic, damn rains, and what not. Of course, I have also had fun times.

So when the Arien picked me up that Friday, I felt strangely relaxed. He lowes to drive and is usually not a crabby person to be with when it rains. So, I was all smiles and the drive home was very nice. The Arien played some gr8 music. We got stuck at the Railway signal but did not lose our tempers. We were staring at the rain and enjoying it for the first time. The Arien turned nostalgic and spoke 'bout the hazaar times he was caught in those rains while he was on his way home after meeting me, 'bout catching dreadful colds b'cos of the drenching, 'bout going to watch Vantage Point at Lido when we were dripping wet after one of those sudden showers and shivering in the AC while cribbing 'bout Bangalore rains, etc. etc.

After listening to him, suddenly I was not so sure I hated the rains. We have tooo many experiences associated with these Bangalore rains. Not fair!! :D

No comments: