Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Driving my Honda-Activa (Two-wheeler)

After months and months of taking the cab home - I was finally going to drive my two-wheeler after almost 7 months. I was a reckless rider before and usually scared the folks who rode pillion and so I did not think it was going to be difficult at all. Haven't we all heard that you can never unlearn cycling or swimming or biking. It may take a while to get started but you cannot really forget.

The morning went in a rush - waking up late, running arnd the house looking for the missing salwar, ironing the salwar, making coffee and then tea, picking up the newspaper, welcoming the maid who brought the the milk in, rushing for my bath, making a quick breakfast of Idlis, and waking the Arien up - all hpnd like one huge chain of events. I rush out, knowing I am already late and this was a foolish idea - Mondays and beginnings do not really go together.

I come down the stairs and look at my bike, a black Honda Activa, - it is dirty. Grrrr... I should have given it for servicing yesterday, instead of a week ago. Hunt for a cleaning cloth in all the bikes - find one that is a torn vest and so dirty that I want to cry that I have touched it. Decide not to look further - who knows what I may find :( Bike shall not be cleaned. The next thing I realize is that I cannot carry the phone in my hand. I remove the bag from my shoulder, put the phone in the front pocket of my bag, and then wear the bag again. I am already bugged and the drive is yet to start.

I put on the helmet. The helmet makes me feel claustrophobic. My forehead itches and I hit the visor of my helmet and then realize that I am wearing a helmet and cannot really reach my forehead that way at all. In fact, I cannot reach it at all unless I remove the damn helmet. I decide that the itch can wait. Jes FYI - I always hated the helmet - I used to drive 14 kms to my office without helmet b'cos I did not want my hair looking awful. That was until a policeman caught me and fined me Rs.200 for the offense. I have always worn my helmet, since then. :P

I start the vehicle successfully and move towards the gate - The Security Guard is standing outside the gate and waving at me to stop - which probably means a huge vehicle is coming tht way. A moped drives past. The old man (Security Guard) signals a Go. I stare at him and want to shout a thing or two - am prevented by the helmet and then, my vehicle stops. I start the vehicle and rush to the gate before the Security Guard can stop me for a kid on a tricycle and almost hit a lorry coming in the opposite direction. Oh well... my ride has begun.

I am terrified... I close my eyes everytime I see a vehicle too close for comfort. I am constantly hanging on to the brakes and so I am hardly moving at all. Everytime I accelerate, I hit the brakes n so its a kinda jerky jump ride - which was so not the way I rode before. :(

The traffic, of course, is awful. I finally reach the office - it has taken an hour and a half - and it is 11, now. The new helmet that the Arien got for me refuses to fit into the storage compartment of the bike - so I lug my bag, the laptop bag, and my helmet up three floors - I am out-of-breath, bugged, and my hair is so flat - I look awful. My colleague comments "What hpnd to ur hair?" - I decide not to reply and act as if I did not hear her comment. I am so tired of the bloody ride that I am all for taking the cab in the evening.

Do I want to do this again? REALLY?? Well, there were moments in the ride, when I felt the thrill of before - it oddly felt so liberating so I will def drive again. Hopefully it won't be as bad as this one - Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Dew Drop said...

Good post :)

The security guard episode and the way you've described it is simply superb :)

Keep writing, and ride safe!!!! :)

Deepa

Casey said...

Hahaha - smtms reality can b funny especially when you remember it much later - not wen it is hpng to you - right then :D