Sunday, October 3, 2010

TS3 from Net and BEB on Thiruttu VCD -- 2 Reviews in 1

This weekend was going to be Movie Weekend. After Dabaang, I thot we had had enuf of movies wen the Arien insisted that we finally watch Toy Story 3. He had dowloaded the movie a long time ago and was dying to watch it. He wanted to get Dabaang out of his head - me thinks. We also had this camera print of the hugely popular - Boss Engira Bhaskaran movie. We caught Toy Story 3 first.

Usually, sequels never have the impact the first story does. You may recall Shrek 4, Hannibal, etc. and so I was actually not too keen on this movie. However, I was in for a surprise. The movie, while continuing as part of the series, goes on to have its own story. Andy was going away to college and his toys are mistakenly given away to a Day Care center. What happens at the Day Care center, how the toys get back to Andy's attic and do they get to stay there - forms the story. I do not want to share too much of the movie except that it lived up to high expectations and some more. I was trying to distance myself from the movie b'cos I felt it wud not meet my expectations - but got pulled into the story. There was no room for any disconnect. Some scenes you shd not miss: Ken and his outfits, Buzz in his spanish avatar, etc. If you have not caught it yet - go borrow, download, and watch the movie. Do not miss it. I wish I had watched it on the beeg screen :(

The next movie that we caught was of course, BEB. Rumoured to be Nayantara's last movie before she got married to namma desi MJ - Prabhu Deva, I thot it may be one of those hyped movies which usually fall flat. After listening to a colleague, I decided it was worth checking it out at least. Firstly, the movie is not a full-length spoof like Tamizh Padam but it has a number of these "spoof" moments which will make you break into a laugh in the middle of a scene. Arya plays the role of a good-for-nothing lad who writes his arrear exams annually and lives a happy-go-lucky life. His tongue-in-cheek performance leaves you in no doubt of his acting skills. Nayan has a role that demands little from her and she delivers. In fact, the actors who play Arya's mother and brother must be commended. The ending falls a little flat with a totally silly climax - but it is ok to watch once. Some scenes not to be missed: meaning of the word "pardon" as stated by Arya's frend, Santhanam, the scene following the wedding of his elder brother etc.

After a looong time, caught some movies that I did not regret watching. Want to catch "Endhiran" - probably next week or the week after tht. Do not want to catch "Anjaana Anjaani" after seeing PC in KKK. The Arien thinks we are watching way too many movies -- I have to agree :(

2 comments:

Girish said...

Toy Story 3 was really really reaaalllyy awesome!!
(Yeah, I become a kid when I watch them :D)
I love all the movies!
One of my fav when I was a kid!!
So sad there won't be another sequel, while Shrek may make another one!!!

I don't understand tamil, but I'm planning to go to Endhiran! :)

Anonymous said...

I loved Toy Story 3 too :) ...that too without having seen Parts 1 and 2 :D