Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dabaang -- A Review

I wanted to see Dabaang when it released. First Day First Show. But, we were at Jaipur at that time. It took us this long to finally catch it. The Arien woke me up saying - "Looks like we may not get the tickets if we jes land up at the theatre so I am booking online." I think I agreed. (Hard to tell at 7:00 am on a Saturday). 10:05 am saw us zipping past traffic in the Phatphatiya and we managed to get parking space and walked in during the National Anthem. Thank God!

And now for the movie: Dabaang is a Sallu movie all the way. Its a total masala movie with a teeny-tiny story-line. Sonakshi looks pretty and holds her own in her debut movie - which is pretty awesome for a newbie. Sonu Sood, as Cheddi Singh is good. The movie survives only on Salman - his aviator glasses - and his charisma. With almost a zero story-line, Salman makes you fall in lowe with his bad-boy image of Chulbul Pandey urf Robinhood Pandey. A case of reel life imitating real life. If you think 'bout it - tht was a very clever idea. Sallu is at his hilarious best in the "Munni badnaam hui" song. Well, I am a fan of Sallu and I was really tired of the terrible movies that he chose to act in. Not that this is a fantastic movie. This movie was completely over the top but I enjoyed very bit of it. The more bizarre the action sequence - the funnier it was. The songs were catchy and I was humming the "Dabang Dabang Dabang" as we left the theatre. Dabaang - it was. Catch it if you wanna have a good laugh.

2 comments:

Girish said...

I didn't watch it as I don't see many hindi movies!
But those dance steps for that Dabaang song have become very popular here with all the guys going crazy and doing all kinds of stupid dance moves!!
Love that :D

Casey said...

@Girish -- Thanks for stopping by. One of the reasons I wanted to catch this movie was his absurd dance moves. He usually has these "Prem" roles (pun unintended) where he spends most of his time lookin bored. I feel that his potrayal as Chulbul Pandey was a major step-up.