Sunday, March 22, 2009

Dumbest Advertisement

It was a lazy sunday, and I was watching the movie Tarzan - I, on Z-Studio. As I watched the movie, I felt that Tarzan resembled someone but cud not place him. After the first break - I realized who it was: Tarzan resembled Hrithik Roshan :D Freakish co-incidence or my imagination running haywire?? U decide!

It was during the first break that I saw this ad : A gal kid wearing spectacles is standing in front of the mirror and asks her dad, " Am I pretty, papa?" The dad says "Of course, beta" and the kid responds "How come nobody looks like me?" and there is a flashback - the kid's attempts at being friendly are rebuffed by the boy sitting next to her. The nxt day, the papa comes to school and takes the kid out of class to show off his new car, Swift Dezire. As they go on a drive, all her friends stare awe-struck, including the boy who rebuffs her - the kid now asks "Am I so pretty?"

Firstly, according to me, Swift Dezire is the ugliest car ever to be seen on the road. It looks like smne took the front portion (bonnet n all) of the Swift and the behind (dikky n all) of an SX4 and created the Swift Dezire. Marketing it as a different-looking car is a good idea. However, comparing it to a kid who wears spectacles smacks of insensitivity considering that a large population of our cities wear glasses, especially children. What message are we trying to give here?

Second, so if you are not a pretty kid i.e you wear spectacles - your dad shd buy you a car (albeit the ugliest one) and take you out for a ride during school hours - so you become instantly popular. Wah! Wah! Kya solution hai. Totally impressive. So, if your dad can only afford a Maruti800 - u will remain unpopular forver.

This ad takes my vote for being the dumbest ad in recent times. What do you think??

1 comment:

Dew Drop said...

Such advts should be banned..!!!!

There is a censor board for movies.. I have no idea about the commercials... But, in my opinion, all advts that give the totally WRONG message to children should be off the screens.