Sunday, March 22, 2009

Six-Packs n Size Zero - The Nation's latest Obsession

Off-late, I am hearing a lot 'bout six-pack abs. Everytime I change the channel on our TV set, I see a guy on TV sporting a six-pack for an ad on perfumes, inner wear, and what not. I remember a time when women would be used as a - for lack of a better word - prop - to sell cars, or engine oil or other stuff.. Is this like payback time? We are using the male as a prop?

When did this change happen - Did it start with the Badshah khan n his six-packs for Om Shanthi Om? Or was it when Aamir Khan sported the same for Ghajini? Or was it a loong time ago when Salman Khan removed his shirt for the first time in "Oh oh Jaane Jaana" for Pyar Kiya to Darna Kya ... or was it a lot earlier.... I don't really know.

All I know is that I was watching the movie Tarzan I, the other day and I felt that Tarzan resembled Hrithik, six packs n all. A week or so ago, while driving towards Tumkur, I spotted a huge Hanuman Statue and guess wht - Hanuman had six-packs! I also recall seeing the Bahubali monolith on my way to Mangalore - Yupp - Six Packs!! That got me thinking...

As a younster, I recall getting very perturbed seeing the statues of godesses, and princesses with their slim waists, impossibly curvaceous figures and wondering if I would ever look like that and not really sure if I wanted to. Is this like a payback for all that? I felt the waif-like models, size-zero actresses, and curvaceous godesses statues made most young gals and women feel inadequate and confused for most part of the adolescent phase of their lives. Considering most of the young women were blessed with very sensible moms, they did not obsess over such trifles for too loong. Thank the good lord! They left the trifles be handled by the women in the glamour industry.

Can we say the same thing 'bout the men? Well, we have had generations of practise and so it will be a while before paunchy Paresh stops dreaming of becoming Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Kozhi-kaal Vijay realizes he is not Milind Soman. Till then, Gyms will flourish as guys take on the Six-Pack challenge. Jai Ho!! ;P

3 comments:

Dew Drop said...

I liked this :)
Nice observations.

Casey said...

hahaha - Actually, the moment I wrote the title, it felt like all these thoughts had been sitting in my head for a looong time - they decided to be expressed all at one go. I am still a lil shocked!! :D

Anonymous said...

Really nice one ...

But you know, I think guys are a lot more sensible...they have no fears about showing their pot-belly without feeling conscious at all. Definitely does not stop them from making random passes at girls who are far above them in the looks/body department :D

Maybe things are different with the next gen of guys...what would really be nice is if both men and women forget about this mad obsession with the body beautiful and concentrate on enjoying life a bit more...

Haha...this from a girl who kills herself trying to gym in the wee hours of the morning !