Thursday, June 21, 2012

Another Book Review -- Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Unbelievable -- right? I thought so too. I thought after the 3 book reviews, I would slip back to the world of movies - but nope tht did not happen. Why? I blame Cornelia Funke. The premise of InkHeart was very unique and so interesting that I hoped the book lived up to it. It was all that and more. It was a well-written story and I could not put the book down. I had read it a while ago and forgot to blog about it (I know -- so rare). When I got my hands on the second and third part of the trilogy, I went ahead and re-read it.

The author expresses herself very well as Meggie. Meggie, her curiousity, her stubborness, her love for her dad, her rebellious nature, her to-die-for interest in books, all remind me of myself when I was Meggie's age. This book is a treat -- it reminds me of the days before TV was the guest of honour at home. The book should be reserved for rainy days when you can plonk yourself on a nice window seat with cushions and a razai. Lets add a nice cuppa chai, some snacks (naturally) and Enid Blyton or Agatha Christie Cornelia Funke for company. I think that would be just perfect.

While the idea of a book-crazy aunt was pretty neat, book-crazy ppl are not the type who will ever set out on an adventure though they will wish for it with all their might. While she plays pretty true to type initially, cribbing with all her might about the inconveniance, she gradually likes the adventure which is not so easy to believe. Mo is almost every lil gal's dad - his character was also well-etched. Dustfinger, the friend turned foe turned friend again, was believable. 

I loved the quotes that start each chapter, I liked the reference to the selfish giant, (a lesson I recall from my school days), I liked, I liked, I liked :)

I am looking forward to reading the other two parts -- I am not sure how she can surpass this book - but wait n watch for my review -- I am re-reading it almost after a year.

On another note, saw Ishqya finally. Vidya Balan was great in this movie as well. Naseeruddin Shah is superb as usual. Arshad Warsi is equally good. Vidya Balan looks quite slim unlike her recent self in The Dirty Picture and Kahani. Not blogging the movie review. But, the movie clearly showcases the saying that script is king. It also showed that good actors are very crucial for a good script to attain SUPER-HIT status.

No comments: