Friday, June 29, 2012

Life Expectancy -- Dean Koontz

What are the odds? I think in my entire blogging history, this year has the most number of book reviews and we still have ~ 6 months left. I realize that because the Arien is away, having fun at the Himalayan Odyssey,  I am reading a lot of books. Maybe he should do this every year so I can make some time for my books (ghahahaha!!)

Kidding aside, I mostly like to re-read Agatha Christie, Michael Connelly, and sometimes, yes sometimes, I pick up Dean Koontz. I read The Darkest Evening of the Year last month but I have not blogged about it. This time I have decided to blog about every book I read (ok almost every book).

Life Expectancy has a nice note to it, some baking delights, some humour, and of course Dean Koontz's dollop of suspense. In my head, the book was written by a pleasantly plump, charming young baker and not Dean Koontz. The book starts with the birth of the pleasantly plump, charming baker, Jimmy Tock. In other aspects, it is a typical old hindi movie. On the stormy night when Jimmy Tock is born, his grandpa is hospitalized. Granpa Tock wakes up from his coma and predicts the birth of Jimmy Tock and 5 days when Jimmy should be very careful, cautious. He asks Jimmy's father, Rudy, to note the dates. Rudy writes down the dates on a free pass, received from his friend, to the circus in town. After sharing the dates, grandpa Tock dies and before Rudy can react, he receives information that his son has been born. At the same time, Konrad Beezo, a clown at the circus in town is also waiting for his wife to deliver their child. Rudy watches Konrad go crazy with grief when he finds out that his wife is dead but his son is alive. Konrad shoots the doctor, the delivery nurse, while claiming that the death of his wife was part of some huge conspiracy. Rudy is aghast at the spectacle in front of him and buys time by agreeing with Beezo and informs him that the rest of his enemies have fled the scene. Beezo is flattered and thanks Rudy, promises never to forget him and leaves with his son. What happens on those five days? Does Beezo come back into their life?

Interesting? You bet it was. I also found out that Life Expectancy is among the top 10 books of Dean Koontz. I have not read a lot of his books to share an opinion but I thought this book was a lot better.

No comments: