Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Saapadu -- Foodie Weekend Continues..

After experimenting with Mexican food, you would think that we would be satisfied for the rest of the month. But, No. Anyway, I am getting ahead of myself. Lets start at the beginning. It all started when the Arien forgot to lock his helmet to his bike on Friday. When he came back - the helmet was missing. Sometimes, the Arien's trust in other humans is too shocking to be true. Well, end result, we had to go helmet-hunting in JC Road over the weekend. We invited the Taurean. With the Senior Arien away at Pondicherry, the Taurean was feeling a lil lost. We walked into the first shop and both the Arien and the Taurean fell for the Cross helmet and purchased one each. Ya... and I am known as the shopaholic... Hmpf!! Anyway...

After the purchase both of them acted as if they had climbed mount Everest and said in one voice "Lets Eat." The timing was kinda between a snack and dinner and I was not sure when the choice was taken out of my hands. We walked to MTR (Mavalli Tiffin Room) - a place that I was visiting for the first time since I moved to Bangalore 11 years ago. They mentioned that dinner would be served at 7:45 and tickets would be given at 7:30. It was around 7:15 and so we decided to wait. The waiting Room was quite old-fashioned and had a board mentioning where we were and was kinda funny. I did not even have my camera for the historic moment was all I was thinking when I remembered that I had my cell phone and viola - a grainy pic of the Waiting room.

And then the meal started.... Firstly, the Arien is a huge foodie and wanted a Yelai Saapadu but we were given steel plates. The Arien was a lil disappointed but cheered up when he saw the items arrive one after the other. First up was fresh orange juice, which tasted heavenly, arriving in a silver tumbler. I heard that that was the tradition at MTR. Coffee was usually served in silver tumblers. Wow!! This was followed by the thick coconut chutney, payasam, alu palya, kosambri, vadam, and then Masala Dosa. You could have two dosais but if you had more, you would regret that decision sorely. This was followed by Bisibele bath, Vaangi baath, and steamed rice with sambhar and rasam. And then... (yes, there is more) we had curd rice followed by ice-cream. I stopped after the Vangi bath but both the Arien and the Taurean went on and on and on. Naturally, I had to tease them for that. I think we had had enough for the month now. If you have not visited MTR yet, ... Do so NOW.

No comments: