Sunday, June 25, 2017

Brown is the new White

I started baby steps towards eating healthy last month. I was unsure if I could do it because it involved a lot of change. I wish I could say it is easy. I struggle with my new choices and try to stay the course as far as I can. I have good days and a few off days that are slowly not too many in number.

One of the first changes was to move from white rice to brown rice. I balked at it but slowly made it work.

I love sugar in my tea. Whenever anyone commented on my sugar intake (I like 2 spoons of sugar in my tea), I would always respond "If I cannot have sugar in my tea, I would rather go without tea." I have not had sugar or milk in my tea for almost a month now. I thought that would be the toughest life style change but within a week, I was totally comfortable with it.

I try to include 1 fruit everyday and sprouts at least thrice a week. My food portions used to be quite erratic. I now stick to a fixed pattern and quantity everyday. If I am still hungry, I have a fruit instead of eating anything else.

I also have two cheat meals in a week when I can have whatever I like. I try to choose something healthy most of the time.

Sometimes, I go back to my old pattern for one meal or one snack. Then, I consciously reduce my intake for the next day. This is actually the toughest part for me.

I also thought that with these drastic changes, I would lose a lot of weight. But, its a slow and steady progress. However, I am happy that I am making some changes and am eating healthy. I do not feel stuffed or bloated. I actually feel light and that is something I am enjoying. Well, wish me luck :)

No comments: