Thursday, November 27, 2014

Shoes shoes shoes everywhere -- Not one I am allowed to buy

I am crazy about shoes. Something about shoes, trying them on, buying them is like therapy to me. In spite of the Arien, I manage to indulge in this expensive hobby from time to time. You can read about the difficulties I face in getting the Arien to agree to my therapy, here.

Today when I was browsing the Internet, I noticed an article that listed specifically the different types of shoes that a woman must own or have in her closet. I was hooked. The thought running in my head was "I have an excuse to buy more shoes - Yeah!!! " Considering I have not stepped out much or purchased new shoes in almost two years - you will understand why I am so excited. I also knew that the Arien will not kick up a fuss because of the same reason. This time I was determined to research my collection before uttering a word to the Arien. That way I will catch him unawares and he will have no other option but to go with the flow.. I am so EVIL (evil laugh).

A few hours later, the Arien was busy fitting the car seat in the car and had taken Kuku with him, I realized that identifying the category my footwear belonged to was a bit confusing for me. For the folks who are unaware, your footwear is usually one of the following:

a) Pumps - These shoes cover your feet on all sides. Nude pumps are very popular with celebrities but I think black pumps are the ones that go with any outfit. Usually, pumps have medium to high heels. A variant of this are the peep toes. The pumps which have a cut out near the toes so your toes can peep out are the peep toes.

b) Ballet Flats - If your footwear covers your entire feet but has no heels, the footwear is known as ballerinas or ballet flats. It is basically a pump with no heels :) These shoes are comfortable and are easy to slip on. I also like the fact that they prevent your feet from tanning.

c) Juttis - This is part of Indian ethnic footwear. Actually, it is a ballet shoe (pump with no heels) of various vibrant colors or made of faux leather and can be worn with traditional outfits. I purchased one from a local vendor in one of the side streets of comm street. Painful Fact: You may suffer from shoe bite when you purchase from local vendors :(

d) Sandals - This is a good weather footwear. They usually have straps and are very casual. Its great for showing off pedicured feet, for a visit to the beach, generally summer footwear so your toes can breathe. Sandals have a number of variants - some have a single strap with buckles, some are slingbacks, some have metallic look, animal print etc. Its a huge list :)

e) Mules - This is the footwear that does not cover the back of your foot. It usually has a fair amount of heel.

f) Sneakers or Gym shoes - This footwear is usually worn to the Gym, some women also wear it with Jeans.

g) Espadrilles - This footwear is like a slip-on and has no heel to talk about. It very comfy and comes in a variety of colors and is a favorite of folks who are really particular about their feet or have corns in their feet or other sole issues. 

And then the most important aspect - the heels: Well, there are only a few:

a) Stilettos - The pencil heels that make your feet look longer and create an impression. Crazily uncomfortable but you look great. Most folks have at least one pair which they may not wear often or at all.

b) Wedges - You love heels and the pencil heel is too painful, an attractive option is the wedge. It is triangular in shape and extends from the heel to the toe. It can look like an inverted cake slice too :) I love wedges.

c) Kitten Heels - These heels are only about 2 inches but have a sleek look that goes well with both formal and casual wear.

d) Platform Heels - This type of footwear has a thick sole in the front part of the foot, giving additional support and is usually teamed with a wedge or stiletto or chunky heels.

Now, if you look at the categories of footwear and the heel categories, you realize that there so many options. Trying to figure out what I have is driving me crazy but I better have some answers ready as I do not have all day. For instance, I have an ankle strap sandal with medium heels. Does that mean I cannot buy a sandal of medium heel?? Ayyyyyo!! I have two strappy sandals with wedges. Oh no!!  Foiled - yet again :(

I started taking pictures of the various pairs of footwear I own and I may either add it to this post or create a separate picture post of my footwear.. soon. For now, this is bye! (It has been a looong post).

No comments: