Friday, April 6, 2012

The Drop -- Michael Connelly

During the second visit to the library, I picked up two books written by Michael Connelly - The Poet, and The Scarecrow. Both of them had Jack McEvoy as the main character. I liked The Poet more than The Scarecrow but I missed Harry Bosch a helluva lot. So, I was real glad that Michael Connelly's The Drop was available online.

Reading this book after Nine Dragons (Did not much like) and The Reversal (Liked), I was looking forward to this book. It brings Irvin Irving back into Bosch's life. Harry is assigned to the Open-Unsolved unit, and works with David Chu. At the express request of Irvin Irving, Harry and Chu are assigned a high jingo case which involves Irvin Irving. Meanwhile, Harry and Chu are also working on the cold case, that they were assigned to before the high jingo case. The two cases do not overlap and the author does a great job of giving the two cases equal importance. The book also showcases the relationship between Harry and his daughter, Maddie. Doesn't get all lovey-dovey and I am really thankful for tht.

Liked the book. However, the idea that Harry could lose his edge is scary. I remember reading the case where Harry and Terry Caleb investigate a case. You instinctively appreciate the edge tht Harry has which Terry did not - having left the police force a while ago. The fact that Harry could lose his edge is painful. Here is hoping thts not where Michael Connelly is going with his other books. Enjoy Harry Bosch too much for tht. Read it and let me know what you think.

No comments: