Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Gracie Lindsay

It had been a tiring week and I was looking forward to some serious light reading. Too many weekends had disappeared as part of arbid get-2gethers and I really wanted some time to laze, read, read, laze, and so on in an infinite loop. Naturally, the Arien does not get this and so it is a major tussle. So, I was very surprised wen the Arien was asked to report for OT over the weekend. Always in a mood for drama, I waved a sorrowful bye and a "I will miss you", as he left for work on a saturday. The Arien replied in his usual blunt manner "Uff - don't do all this natak - I know u are going to laze all day with tht book of urs. Jes b ready when I come home - we can go out for dinner." Wooohooo!

True to his comment, jes minutes after he left, I picked up Gracie Lindsay. First thing I noted was that the book had been published in 1978. The book was the size of a student notebook or probably the size of Enid Blyton's Secret Seven or Famous Five. The story was written in a simple, clear manner that is distinctly old style. The story is about Gracie, who is returning to her homeland after having been away for more than 7 years. She had left her hometown amidst scandalous rumours, bad gossip and left behind a broken-hearted boy-friend, a heart-broken uncle and a not-so-heart-broken aunt. In those 7 years, she married a man much older to her, and moved to Cawnpore (yes.. Kanpur), India. The husband dies and she decides to return to her hometown - with gifts frm Kashmir, Calcutta, and Mysore. (Yupp... lotsa Indian places.. fairly gave me a thrill!!)

Gracie is not made out to be the epitome of goodness, selfless lowe, etc., she is self-centered, selfish, wanting her chance of happiness with her old boyfriend, who is now engaged to be married. As the entire town watches, she goes out on secret trysts with her old boyfriend, behaves like a pampered niece to her uncle, neglects to find out more 'bout her child who was given away for adoption, goes out with a notorious womaniser to make her old boyfriend jealous, etc. In spite of the way she behaves, instead of contempt, you feel sorry for her.

I was very curious to know how the story wud end, but was very disappointed at the ending. Killing her off in a vague accident, where she somehow manages to save her son was very blaaah. It seemed more like an easy way out for the author. I was not expecting her to become a changed person but I was hoping for a lil happiness for her. This is the first book I have read of this author. When I mentioned the author's name to the senior Arien, he went "aaaah.. He was a gr8 writer - you must read the Citadel". Hmmm... shd remember tht name when I go to the library next time.

No comments: