Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Angels and Daemons

It was a boring Friday evening and suddenly I decided that I had to watch "Angels and Daemons' on Saturday. Managed to convince the Arien tht it was ages since we saw a movie in the theatre and so off we went to Fame Lido to book tickets. Well, considering that the Innovative Multiplex has rats and had recently suffered a pretty bad fire, Fame Lido was a reasonable bet. So, imagine my shock when I am told to come back next Friday. I am so zapped - I do not question why. I recall having read that the movie was released on Friday and assume that all tickets are booked for a week. The Arien comes back after parking and I tell him the news and so we exit amidst a loong boring lecture 'bout how I must have checked earlier blah blah blah.

The Arien calls "Just Dial" and finds out that the movie has been released only in single screen theatres and so we decide to catch the movie in Rex. While the Arien attempts to find some parking spot in the ultra-crowded brigade road, I rush in to book the tickets. Imagine my shock-cum-surprise when I am told that the tickets costs Rs.60/- a head. Yes... thts right! I book two tickets and come back with a stoopid grin on my face. Meanwhile, the Arien has actually parked the car on Castle Street and expected me to join him there. Its not an interesting walk and so I am fuming. The Arien is so zapped at the price of the tickets tht he completely ignores my rants. Grrr...

Anyway, we make it on time for the movie and actually manage to park in the Parking Lot provided by Rex. The Balcony is packed. The usherer and the person who serves snacks - come to stare at us during the Intermission. I guess its been a while since Rex was this crowded. Hmmm....

Wah: Tom Hanks sans the wig as Robert Langdon, the story was non-conterversial almost simple in comparison to the hue n cry generated for Da Vinci Code(I have not read the book and so I may be wrong here), editing was slick and quick, fast-paced, the grandeur of the churches and the beauty of the sculptures was almost ostentatious or maybe shown in that manner. However, the city itself has been beautifully shot.

Blah: Not much really. Haven't read the book and so I guess I did not have any issues. Folks who have read the book did not like the movie much.

Conclusion: Lukewarm water on a cold day. Not a edge-of-your-seat thriller.

3 comments:

Dew Drop said...

Just what I wanted to know :)

Thanks KC :)

I read the book and I think it is written very well.. Always heard that books cannot be transferred to the screens at the same pace and grace...

I take your review as a 'Not-so-bad' and 'not so much a waste of time' and may be will go ahead and watch the movie.
:)

Anonymous said...

Hey KC,

Rex is not at all a bad theatre...quite like the old-style atmosphere. I think I watched Harry Potter there, last.Would go more often except that most others prefer multiplexes...

Quite a dumb move, to release the movie only in single-screen theatres, no ? Don't understand the logic behind it.

Anonymous said...

Btw, forgot to mention that the book is quite good. You should read it :)