Wednesday, September 10, 2008

ಹಾಗೆ ಸುಮ್ನೆ - Just like that

Have you ever wondered what is the purpose of your life?

When I was in XII, we had to repeat the Chemistry exam as the question paper had been leaked i.e, someone had sold the question papers to a particular town in remote Tamil nadu. Most of us thought that that was xtremely unfair. For me, it was more so, because I disliked chemistry. I also believed that I had given my best shot for the exam. That paper was never corrected, so we will never know. Anyways, I actually hated organic most with all those benzene equations and now I would be forced to actually prepare. At that time, I was also a follower of a philosophical movement headed by a Guruji and fast gaining acceptance. When faced with the Repeat Chemistry exam, I really could not accept that this was actually good for me. I mean HOW?? While everyone around me made peace with it, I could not or rather would not. I was actually tempted to not write the exam. Yes.. I actually thought that God should take care of it.

Realizing that I could easily drop out of the entire philosophical movement one of the followers wanted to have a talk with me. I went with an open mind. He asked one of the students to get only the cap of a kinley bottle. I tried to keep my skepticism aside as I really needed an answer. When the student returned with the cap, the follower asked me "What do you think is the purpose of this cap?" I had a frown on my face as I said "To ensure that no impurities get into the bottle." He claimed that my answer was fantastic. I had a really nasty expression on my face. Then he asked "Does the cap know what its purpose in life is?" I was the cocky kid now, n I said "Of course not." before anybody had the chance to answer. I was waiting for his "Fantastic" so I could leave.

He had on a serious expression and said "Just like a cap that is created by man is not aware of its purpose but the man who created it, is aware, God created you and is aware of the purpose of your life.... " I interrupted as I felt everone knows this much "So we jes wait to get enlightened or do we go hunting for this purpose?" I actually wanted to say "A cap cannot ask this question - I can, so the analogy really sucks" but because quite a few ppl had gathered and I did not want to embarrass the follower, so I did not share my views on his analogy. He replied "Do you realize that you have asked the toughest question that can be asked by a person? Are you aware that everyone wants an answer to that question? Also, did you know that nobody asks this question when everything goes as per their plan? The moment things do not go as per their plan - we ask God why he is unfair... or what is the purpose of my life? In your life, repeating the exam is unfair and so you ask this now. When you completed the Chemistry exam well, did you ask Why is God unfair?"

I had no reply. In fact, I felt what he said was right. I was very accepting of their philosophy when everything was going well... Hmmm - I wondered if I was shallow. It was a looong Moment. While I thought 'bout this - the follower said his goodbyes and left.

I wrote the exam and scored an excellent score in Chemistry as well as in all the other exams. I did not wonder 'bout God's fairness, then. Of course, there were quite a few moments in my life since then when I wondered why God was unfair or what is the purpose of my life. So have I figured it out? Nope.. I have no clue... Do you??

No comments: