Sunday, November 27, 2016

Nov -- 1 post to sum it all

November was tense, hectic, weird, upsetting, I-hate-you worthy, and otherwise routine.

We started the month with demonetisation. I usually have ~5000 bucks for monthly expenses etc in 500 and 1000 rupee notes (the denomination that is no longer valid). Suddenly, I was worried about how I would get to office the next day. I finally borrowed money from my dad for my day-to-day travel expenses for a week and asked him to keep an account so I could repay him sometime in the next 15 days. We suddenly realized how much of our day to day transactions was done using cash. When you walk up to your local grocer to buy chillies, you do not swipe, you pay in cash. He will burst into laughter when you ask him if he takes cards. When you get a hair cut for the little one at the local barber's place and not at a salon, you pay in cash. You pay your presser (guy or woman who presses or irons ur outfits), in cash. You pay the auto driver in cash unless you use an app like paytm or use ola autos. The chuntu shop that sells bindis etc accepts only cash. The list was endless. However, most folks agreed to wait a bit for their money and others gave us change without biting our heads off. Nice!
      
At work, I had a hectic schedule. We had a position open and we had interviews almost every day and there was co-ordination, collaboration, meetings, and oh so many interviews. We had to reach office on time, or earlier and I was praying for miracles almost every day. I had no time to work as I was hardly at my desk. I sent updates once a week and it felt like that was all I focused on. After all that, you would think we had multiple good candidates but the results were mixed and I started praying for the second miracle. Grim and really hectic.

Balamurali Krishna passed away. Just when I was accepting this news, I had a shock closer home. My grandma, who was a happy octogenarian fell sick, was admitted in the hospital on Friday and passed away on Saturday. She was a progressive thinker who loved life and wanted the best for her children and grandchildren. While I feel sad that she is no more, her surgery and subsequent illness was very tough on her and so maybe this was better. I will always remember her yelling "Killuuu" as I ran outside without drinking my milk. There are so many memories that tears blur my eyes and so I'll stop with this. Hate November, Hate 2016. Well.. not really, just a bit upset.

Waiting for 2016 to end. Hoping 2017 will be a better year.

No comments: