Monday, June 24, 2013

Writer's Block -- What, How, Why me??

I find it rather rather ironic that whenever I resolve to update my blog with new posts, I am often hit by writer's block. It is almost as if all interesting ideas that were sitting in my head, suddenly sprout wings and fly away. When I am in the middle of my work project, I will be bombarded with so many interesting ideas that there are times when I want to stop working and start writing - to hell with the consequences. Of course, being who I am, I do not really indulge in that. So, when I really want to  write - writer's block appears uninvited!

When that happens - I usually try to identify the one thing on my mind at the time of writing a post - it could be a book I read recently, it could be a game, it could be a family function that I am all excited about, something that is bugging me, something I want to share, a rant on the traffic condition in Bangalore, a wishlist, a new weight loss option, any one of these can be made into a post provided it is exciting enough to write about and I have something new to offer. A new perspective, an analogy, anything that makes the person who reads it connect to it.

I always remember my English classes at School, where many pleasant afternoons were spent writing an interesting one-page essay on any topic that the teacher chose for the day. I can still recall the groans from most of my class-mates while I was away in my dreamland coming up with yet another interesting tale to tell. I recall being told that I have a vivid imagination and interesting tales to share and that I ought to try my hand at writing. I felt the English class was the best thing to happen to me - the same cannot be said about the grammar classes :)

Of course, there are times when absolutely nothing suggests itself to me and I really have to let it go that day.

Those are the times I am really glad that I do not blog for a living! But, then I think, if I did, the idea would hit me a few minutes before the deadline. Sometimes the added pressure of a deadline, makes the brain work harder and Viola! the idea is here and now all you need now is a few minutes of uninterrupted time so you can express it all in a funny, interesting, wah wah way :)

So, how do you handle it?

No comments: