Sunday, November 21, 2010

His Dark Materials - The Golden Compass

Had seen portions of the movie when it was telecast on TV but never the entire movie. As part of my "Back to Reading" plan, I selected this book to read because for some reason, I was never able to watch more than a few scenes from the movie. However, because I have watched the first few scenes of the movie many times, I was able to vividly recall the scenes as I was introduced to Lyra, Lord Asriel, and Lady Coulter.

Lyra, an orphan, lives in the Jordan college, with her daemon, Pantalaimon. Her stay at the college and her studies are being paid for by Lord Asriel, her uncle. Lyra spends most of her time playing with Roger, her friend, going into forbidden rooms, and trying her best not to learn what the professors want her to. One day, while sneaking into one of the forbidden rooms, Lyra manages to foil a plan to poison Lord Asriel. Suddenly, things change.

The book is quite interesting and keeps you engrossed and so I was surprised when I found that this book and the others in the trilogy were part of the young adult section. Was I embarrassed? I mean this could be like being caught with a Nancy Drew but it was not and I was not. Though predictable in some places, the book still managed to pique my interest. I only wish I had read it years ago. Waiting to read the rest of the books.

No comments: