Monday, June 28, 2010

And Thereby Hangs a Tale

.. is Jeffery Archer's latest offering of short stories. It is also the title of the second book that I purchased at the Odyssey Store at RMZ Infinity. I would like to blame my sudden book-buying impulses on Sir Jeffery Archer but thats not really true. It would be more appropriate to say that when I am in the book-buying mood, he has a new offering sitting on those shelves :) I remember buying Prisoner of Birth, almost a year ago. You can read my review of the book, here.

And Thereby Hangs a Tale consists of 15 short stories - of which 10 of them are based on true incidents according to the Author. While I completely enjoyed some of the stories, this truly did not meet the level, he had set for himself after A Twist in the Tale. For the folks who have read his earlier books, I am sure you agree with me. For the others, if any, I probably sound unfair.

Usually, the difficult part is picking a few of the stories but that was not as difficult as I thought. I liked the way the Author has handled "Why we never ask a woman her age?" in The Queen's Birthday Telegram. It seemed but natural that the story was based on a true incident. :) I also enjoyed the Double Cross, which had a nice twist at the end. Blind Date was a little too literal for my taste but I still liked it. The insurance hoax that was foiled by the wife of the investigator in the High Heels, was quite interesting. I felt very sorry for the Undiplomatic Diplomat and did not like Caste-Off all that much. Read up and share your view... Happy Reading :)

No comments: