Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kandhasamy

Am blogging after a really looong tm and I thot I must first share my opinion on a movie that has been hyped to glory. So far, all movies that have been publicised extensively usually fall flat after all tht hype... but hey, I am getting ahead of myself. Lets start at the beginning...

It was a hectic monday morning and I had jes started serious work after replying to various arbid mails when the phone started to ring. I was sure it was a credit card salesman and picked it up only to hear my bil ask me if I was at work. I managed a Yes and was informed tht the entire family junta was planning on watching Kandhasamy and would I join them for the 8 pm show? I said Yes. All too soon it was tm for us to get to the theatre. When we reached the theatre, I was a lil zapped to see two full rows occupied by my extended family. My bil is very enthued 'bout get2gethers and movies and so here we were (arnd 30 of us), sitting in the last two rows and hoping to enjoy a Vikram movie. Hoping is the right word... in the first 10 mts, Vikram in his Kozhi avatar killed all my interest.

Totally predictable - script must have been written on a paper napkin frm a cheap takeaway -movie was a mish-mash of Shivaji and Anniyan without the script, a la Swift Dezire. Vikram is totally wasted in a role where he sleepwalks as his various avatars. Shriya, the less said the better. Songs - not even hummable - a Poda Podi song tht no self-respecting tiny tot will sing even with a bribe, an Allegra song tht was supposed to showcase Shriya's dancing abilities but showcased more of her size zero figure than of anything else.

Most folks left after the interval when they saw tht the movie was going nowhere. We were not as lucky as we were a huge group where sm folks believed the movie wud get better and so we stayed put and endured the longest, most boring tamil movie ever. It was so pathetic that I wondered at Vikram's wisdom in signing on the dotted line after the script was shared. I have liked most of his earlier movies but this is simply too huge a blooper for the actor to commit. I have always thot he was an intelligent actor but this movie makes me wonder 'bout tht as well. Anyways, if there is anyone who has not yet seen this movie, this is my sincere advice: Pls do not watch it even if smne gives you a free gold class ticket at sm hi-fi multiplex in your city.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teehee...I have also sat through various arbid Tamil moview because of family pressure. My dad is a big fan of the family reunion going en masse to the theatre.

Have no plans of watching Kandaswamy, both you n Deepa have given such awful reviews about it...and what is this poda/podi song...sounds like the lowest of the low !

Dew Drop said...

Krupa... I completely understand your plight... :)

All I can do now, is just give you a big e-hug and say : Hope for a good tamil movie soon..

There is one getting out today in the theatres.. paarkaalam :) If Kamal hassan has managed to flop or click it...

Casey said...

@nishitak: I wanted to write the review the day after I saw it so neither of you catch it.. but was tooo late :(
@dewdrop: Thanks da! Is the new movie the remake of the hindi movie A Wednesday? I liked the hindi version. Fingers crossed!!